The main interest of the laboratory lies in understanding how the adaptive immune response is regulated during chronic infections. We are currently focussing on three topics:
1. The development of effector and memory CD8 T-cell responses during chronic infections
We are mainly interested in molecular pathways governing early priming events, induction and maintenance of effector CD8 T-cell responses, and the generation of memory cells.
2. The regulation of CD4 T cell responses during chronic infection
Particular interest is given to immune suppressive pathways operating during chronic infections and aiming at inhibiting CD4 T cell responses.
3. The mechanisms of induction of hypergammaglobulinemia by the protozoan parasite Leishmania donovani
We seek to identify pathways triggered by L. donovani that lead to polyclonal B cell activation and ultimately to hypergammaglobulinemia.
- Mai, L.T., Smans, M., Silva-Barrios, S., Fabié, A., and Stäger, S. (2020). IRF-5 expression in myeloid cells is required for splenomegaly in L. donovani infected mice. Frontiers in Immunology, 10:3071. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2019.03071.
- Silva-Barrios, S. and Stäger, S. (2019). Hypergammaglobulinemia sustains the development of regulatory responses during chronic Leishmania donovani infection in mice. European Journal of Immunology, 49(7): 1082-91.
- Fabié, A., Mai, L.T., Dagenais-Lussier, X., Hammami, A., van Grevenymghe, J, and Stäger, S. (2018). IRF-5 promotes cell death in CD4 T cells during chronic infection. Cell Reports, 24(5):1163-1175.
- Silva-Barrios, S., Charpentier, T., and Stäger, S. (2017). The deadly dance of B cells with Trypanosomatids.Trends in Parasitology, 34(2):155-171.
- Hammami, A., Abidin, B.M., Charpentier, T., Fabié, A., Duguay, AP, Heinonen K.M., and Stäger, S. (2017). HIF-1alpha is a key regulator in potentiating suppressor activity and limiting the microbicidal capacity of MDSC-like cells during visceral leishmaniasis. PLoS Pathogens, 13(9): e1006616.
- Abidin, B.M., Hammami, A., Stäger, S., and Heinonen, K.M. (2017). Infection-adapted emergency hematopoiesis promotes visceral leishmaniasis. PLoS Pathogens, 13(8):e1006422.
- Silva-Barrios, S. and Stäger, S. (2017). The role of IFN-I in parasitic infections. Frontiers in Immunology, pii: S0008-8749(16)30047.
- Charpentier, T., Hammami, A., and Stäger, S. (2016). Hipoxia inducible factor 1 alpha: A critical factor fro the immune response to pathogens and Leishmania. Cellular Immunology, pii: S0008-8749(16)30047.
- Silva-Barrios, S., Smans, M., Duerr C., Qureshi, S.T., Fritz, J.H., Descoteaux, A., and Stäger, S. (2016). Innate immune B cell activation by Leishmania donovani exacerbates disease and mediates hypergammaglobulinemia. Cell Reports, 15(11):2427-37.
- Hammami, A., Charpentier, T., Smans, M., and Stäger, S. (2015). IRF-5-mediated inflammation limits CD8 T cell expansion by inducing HIF-1a and impairing dendritic cell functions during Leishmania infection. PLoS Pathogens, 11(6):e1004938.
- Bankoti, R., Gupta, K, Levchenko, A., and Stäger,S. (2012). Marginal zone B-cells regulate antigen-specific T-cell responses during infection. Journal of Immunology, 188(8):3961-71.
- Paun, A., Joshi, T., Pitha, P.M., and Stäger,S. (2011). IRF5 deficiency severely impairs the development of T helper 1 responses following Leishmania donovani infection. PLoS Pathogens, 7 (1): 1001246.
- Ranatunga, D., Hedrich, C.M., Wang, F., McVicar, D.W., Nowak, N., Joshi, T., Fiegenbaum, L., Grant, L.R., Stäger,S., and Bream, J.H. (2009). A human IL10 BAC transgene recapitulates myeloid- but not T cell-specific murine IL-10 expression resulting in differential disease outcomes. PNAS,106(40): 17123-28.
- Joshi, T., Rodriguez, S., Perovic, V., Cockburn, I., and Stäger,S. (2009). B7-H1 blockade increases survival of dysfunctional CD8+ T-cells and confers protection against Leishmania donovani infections. PLoS Pathogens,5(5):e1000431.