Areas of expertise
Precision agriculture , Hydro-informatics
- Assistant Professor
- Member of the INRS-UQAR Joint Research Unit in Digital Transformation in Support of Regional Development
Eau Terre Environnement Research Centre
490 de la Couronne Street
Québec City, Quebec G1K 9A9
Université du Québec à Rimouski
Through his academic journey, Dr. Célicourt has developed research interests in the field of digital agriculture and the sustainable development of agroecosystems. More specifically, he is interested in the following topics:
- Postdoctoral Internship, Precision Agriculture, Department of Soils and Agrifood Engineering, Université Laval (2019-2021)
- Ph.D., Water Resources and Environmental Engineering (Hydroinformatics), City College of New York (USA, 2017)
- M.Sc., Sustainable Development (Sewage Water Treatment), City College of New York (USA, 2011)
- B.Sc., Electromechanical Engineering, Université d’État d’Haiti (2009)
Paul Célicourt is currently an Assistant Professor at the Centre Eau Terre Environnement of INRS in the context of the Joint Unit Research INRS-UQAR. During his PhD obtained in 2016 at the City College of New York in the US, he developed an expertise in Hydroinformatics, i.e., engineering informatics applied to hydrology and water resources. His doctoral dissertation contributed an environmental data acquisition system featuring data standardization at the source, i.e., at the instrumentation level. He was granted a patent from the United States Patent and Trademark Office for this system. His postdoctoral internship at the Precision Agriculture Laboratory at Laval University, which began in 2019, prompted him to explore the application of his data collection and management approach as a viable solution to the challenges of agricultural data standardization coming from a variety of instruments, equipment, and machinery. In this perspective, he proposed a new field of applied research called Agricultural Hydroinformatics, which promotes the integrated management of agricultural water by considering all interactions of water with surrounding environments such as plants, soil, animals, and humans, and vice versa, as a basis for achieving sustainable agriculture. In 2020, he was a guest editor at the Frontiers in Water journal for a special issue related to this field of research. After his postdoctoral training, he also worked in the same laboratory as a Research Professional until he joined the INRS.
- American Geophysical Union (2016-…)
- European Geophysical Union (2020-…)
- International Society of Precision Agriculture (2021-…)
Editorial Board Member
- Frontiers in Water – Water and Hydrocomplexity (Special Issue).
- BMC Plant Biology (Springer Nature; 2022-…)
- Sustainable Water Resources Management (Springer Nature; 2022-…)
- Frontiers in Environmental Science (Frontiers; 2022-…)
- Agriculture (MDPI; 2021-…)
- Sensors (MDPI; 2021-…)
- Sustainability (MDPI; 2020-…);
- H2O Open Journal (IWA; 2018-…);
- Journal of Hydroinformatics (IWA; 2013-…)
Organization of international conferences
- 2023 : Co-convener for a session at the 2023 European Geophysical Union conference. Topic: Intelligent systems for Earth, Environmental and Planetary Sciences (Methods, Models and Applications)
- 2021 : Co-convener for a session at the American Geophysical Union 2021 Fall Meeting conference. Topic: Earth and Space Science Sensing: Informatics and Applications
Integration of Transducer Data Collection. Locations: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Patent No. 11,252,485; World Intellectual Property Organization|Patent Cooperation Treaty. Application Number WO 2018/102061 A1. Status: Granted on February 15, 2022.
CÉLICOURT, P., SAM, R., PIASECKI, M. (2023). Rapid Prototyping of an Automated Sensor-to-Server Environmental Data Acquisition System using a FAIR-data approach. Journal of Environmental Informatics, 41(1): 1-15. DOI: 10.3808/jei.202300483
GUMIERE, S. J., PERIARD, Y., CÉLICOURT, P., LAFOND, J. A., GUMIERE, T., ROUSSEAU, A. N., GALLICHAND, J., CARON, J. (2022). A computational method for modelling spatiotemporal variability in hydrodynamic properties of sandy soil under drainage and recharge. Frontiers in Soil Science, 2: 803892.
MATTEAU, J., CÉLICOURT, P., LÉTOURNEAU, G., GUMIERE, T., GUMIERE, S. J. (2022). Effects of irrigation thresholds and temporal distribution on potato yield and water productivity in sandy soil. Agricultural Water Management, 264: 107483.
MATTEAU, J., CÉLICOURT, P., SHAHRIARINA, E., LETELLIER, P., GUMIERE, T., AND GUMIERE, S. J. (2022). Irrigation thresholds relationship with potato tubers vertical development in sandy soil. Frontiers in Soil Science, 2: 803892.
CÉLICOURT, P., ROUSSEAU, A. N., GUMIERE, S. J., CAMPORESE, M. (2021). Editorial: Hydro-informatics for Sustainable Water Management in Agrosystems. Frontiers in Water, 2: 758634.
MATTEAU, J., CÉLICOURT, P., LÉTOURNEAU, G., GUMIERE, T., WALTER, C., GUMIERE, S. J. (2021). Association between irrigation thresholds and promotion of soil organic carbon decomposition in sandy soil. Scientific Reports, 11(1): 1-10.
MATTEAU, J., CÉLICOURT, P., LÉTOURNEAU, G., GUMIERE, T., GUMIERE, S. J. (2021). Potato Varieties Response to Soil Matric Potential Based Irrigation. Agronomy, 11(2): 352.
BREDY, J, GALLICHAND, J., CÉLICOURT, P., GUMIERE, S. J. (2020). Water table depth forecasting in cranberry fields using two decision-tree-modeling approaches. Agricultural Water Management, 233: 106090.
CÉLICOURT, P., GUMIERE, S. J., LAFOND, J. A., GUMIERE, T., GALLICHAND, J., ROUSSEAU, A. N. (2020). Automated mapping of water table for cranberry subirrigation management: Comparison of three spatial interpolation methods. Water, 12: 3322.
CÉLICOURT, P., ROUSSEAU, A. N., GUMIERE, S. J., CAMPORESE, M. (2020). Agricultural hydroinformatics: A blueprint for an emerging framework to foster water-management-centric sustainability transitions in farming systems [Perspective Paper]. Frontiers in Water, 2: 586516.
JACQUES, M., GUMIERE, S. J., GALLICHAND, J., CÉLICOURT, P., GUMIERE, T. (2020). Impacts of water stress severity on potato photosynthetic activity and yields. Frontiers in Agronomy, 2: 590312.
CÉLICOURT, P., SAM R., PIASECKI M. (2016). Development of a wireless environmental data acquisition prototype: An experience report. Journal of Software Engineering and Applications, 9: 479-490.
CÉLICOURT, P., PIASECKI M. (2015). HydroUnits: Supporting dimensional analysis in hydrologic computing systems using sensor-based standards. Journal of Hydroinformatics, 18(2): 168-184.
CÉLICOURT, P., PIASECKI M. (2015). An IEEE 1451.0-based platform independent TEDS creator using open-source components. International Journal of Sensors and Sensor Networks, 3(1).