Areas of expertise
Structural Geology , Field Studies , Geochemistry , Geochronology , Metamorphic petrology , Tectonics
- INRS Professor
Interested research topics
Professor Soucy La Roche studies tectonic processes in convergence zones with a specific focus on the mid-crustal evolution of continent-continent and accretionary orogens. He uses a broad variety of methods to describe tectonic systems as comprehensively as possible:
- Field mapping
- Structural analyses (including microstructures and quartz crystallographic preferred orientation analyses)
- Metamorphic petrology (including petrography, thermobarometry and phase equilibria modelling)
- U(-Th)/Pb petrochronology on zircon, monazite and xenotime
- Lu/Hf geochronology on garnet
- Ar/Ar geochronology on white mica, biotite and hornblende
- Trace element geochemistry
So far, professor Soucy La Roche has applied his expertise to the Himalaya, the Grenville Province and the Canadian Cordillera.
Professor Soucy La Roche is currently looking for graduate students to join his research team. If you want to undertake a M.Sc. or a Ph.D. under his supervision, send him your CV and the contact information of two references by email.
- B.Sc. Honour’s Geology, University of Ottawa (2011)
- M.Sc. Sciences de la Terre, UQAM (2014)
- Ph.D. Geological Sciences and Geological Engineering, Queen’s University (2018)
- 2019- , Assistant Professor, Centre Eau Terre Environnement, Institut national de la recherche scientifique, Québec, QC
- 2019- , Visiting Scientist, Geological Survey of Canada, Ottawa, ON
- 2018-2019, Postdoctoral Research Scientist, Geological Survey of Canada, Ottawa, ON
- 2018, Sessional Lecturer (Structural Geology and Tectonics), University of Ottawa, ON
Articles scientifiques révisés par les pairs
Soucy La Roche R, Godin L (2019). Inherited Cross‐Strike Faults and Oligocene–Early Miocene Segmentation of the Main Himalayan Thrust, West Nepal. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth 124 (7), 7429-7444.
Soucy La Roche R, Godin L, Cottle JM, Kellett DA (2019). Tectonometamorphic evolution of the tip of the Himalayan metamorphic core in the Jajarkot klippe, west Nepal. Journal of Metamorphic Geology 37, 239-269.
Godin L, Soucy La Roche R, Waffle L, Harris LB (2019). Influence of inherited Indian basement faults on the evolution of the Himalayan orogen. Geological Society, London, Special Publications 481, 251-276
Soucy La Roche R, Godin L, Cottle JM, Kellett DA (2018). Preservation of the early evolution of the Himalayan middle crust in foreland klippen: insights from the Karnali klippe, west Nepal. Tectonics 37, 1161-1193.
***Winner of the David Elliot Best Paper Award from the Canadian Tectonics Group***
Soucy La Roche R, Godin L, Crowley JL (2018). Reappraisal of emplacement models for Himalayan external crystalline nappes: The Jajarkot klippe, western Nepal. GSA Bulletin 130 (5-6), 1041-1056.
Soucy La Roche R, Godin L, Cottle JM, Kellett DA (2016). Direct shear fabric dating constrains early Oligocene onset of the South Tibetan detachment in the western Nepal Himalaya. Geology 44 (6), 403-406.
Soucy La Roche R, Gervais F, Tremblay A, Crowley JL, Ruffet G (2015). Tectono-metamorphic history of the eastern Taureau shear zone, Mauricie area, Quebec: Implications for the exhumation of the mid-crust in the Grenville Province. Precambrian Research 257, 22-46.