In the event of a lockdown, the priority is to get away from exposed areas and avoid being seen. There is a checklist in each area that could be subject to a lockdown.
For a safe lockdown, proceed as follows:
- Shelter in the nearest room.
- Lock and barricade the door with chairs, tables, desks, etc.
- If the door has a window, cover it.
- Turn off the lights.
- Stay away from doors and windows. Shelter along a wall or anywhere else you can find where the armed person will not see or hear you. The best place to shelter is along a solid brick or concrete wall, for example.
- Lie on the ground behind something that will protect you.
- Turn your cell phone to silent. Only send urgent texts or emails.
- Do not let anyone in, for any reason.
- Wait for the police to come and help you evacuate. Be patient. You might not be able to leave for several hours.